PaPeRdOLL: Dreams are worth waiting for

Monday, April 02, 2007

Dreams are worth waiting for

I AM FINALLY GOING TO STUDY FASHION DESIGN AND OMG... I WAITED FOR THIS DAY FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS.



























Dad sat down and talk to me last night.

He asked me what have I been doing for the past 6 years.

It seemed to him that I had made a mess out of my life. Hitting walls and getting to no where.

Then I replied,"Actually, I do have a scholarship to for a business degree prog to the States."

He asked me how much was it worth.

I told him,"USD $10,000 per semester."

Dad freaked out and turned around to mum and spoke in Cantonese, asking her to use his CPF account.

Then I interrupted,"It's too late. The semester has already started."

He asked me why I didn't tell him about it nor go for it.

I said the same sentence which I said 6 years ago,"I want to study arts."











He was quiet for a moment.

In a deep state of sudden realisation, he spoke,"You always had a talent in music and arts but at that time, you were juggling with schoolwork, swimming, CCA, calligraphy, music, and art lessons at nafa. I was waiting for you to show me your worth but until now I haven't seen it."

Then years of misunderstanding just cleared itself up.

I told him that though poly life wasn't that smooth, I still made it with a few distinctions.

Though I was frequently sick while working, I had caught the eye of my bosses. I was offered different positions and promotions but I turned them down, simply because I never felt that right doing them.

Even Adeline could see it that all along, it wasn't like I was stupid or incapable. I was perfectly capable of doing the "normal mainstream way" of science in JC and then entering Uni, but I could never imagine myself sitting in a lab, or at a hospital attending to patients. The other Adeline teasingly called me Singapore's Next Designer. But I guess both Adelines are my angels in disguise. I could never have made it so far without them. (PS I am still serious about setting up that shop. Believe me when I say WE WILL!)

My heart was never there.

And the main reason why I majored in Retail was for one sole reason because I could draw.

When it comes to visual merchandising, layout plans, product designs, exhibitions, I was the one carrying the team through, picking out what made sense and what didn't. Putting together the styles and designing the website for the final year project.

This is the real me.

I am not what society makes me out to be, I cannot be what my parents make me out to be, I cannot do what the typical rat race that everyone is doing.

And on those days when I was too sick to get out of bed to work, I stayed at home and started drawing portraits.

It made me felt good after being able to pick up the pencil after 6 years. Through the portraits, I realised that I haven't quite lost my talent. I could capture the feel that I wanted but it was never perfect. Nothing was ever perfect, perfection is the highest attainment.

He realised that I was at my happiest when I was allowed either to express my emotions through music or through the drawings.

And there was the go ahead from God.
mail me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home