PaPeRdOLL: Living with Bipolar

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Living with Bipolar

He had a relapse.

The symptoms fitted exactly the same as what all the medical books had stated.

I understand that it will not be easy dealing with issues like this while coping with my own bouts of depression.

Statistics have shown that 90% of the marriages fail when one spouse is diagnosed with bipolar.

He was diagnosed with Bipolar Type II shortly after he had Psychosis.

So I told him how I felt,"You had another episode of relapses."

"How did you know?" he questioned.

"I did my own research."
There was a short moment of silence between us.

Then I couldn't bite my tongue any longer,"Why did you chase me away?"

"I didn't want you to suffer like the way Jean did, because of my condition, I'll never know when it'll strike. That's why it's so scary. I don't want to make you miserable and I don't want to hurt you." was his reply.

Then I asked him,"Why did you propose to me in the first place then?"

His reply,"We could be that 10%."

"If I wanted to leave you, I would have done so on Chinese New Year and not turn back since."










I had arrived at a critical stage of my life.

It was either now or never. I could have taken the stand of all who cared for me and just go on with life.

I was struggling to make the choice of keeping my commitments and being practical to what I am capable of handling.

To be realistic, there was no way I could live with him on a day to day basis and not suffer from relapses on my own.

And so I told him that we might just be different from other married couples, in the sense that we will not be able to live together. At least not now, looking from the point of different dietary and lifestyle habits that we have. (Not that I didn't try to accommodate but my body isn't showing any positive signs.) Surprisingly, things actually worked out better while we are apart.

I'm not going to walk life through, I'm just going to walk with you.
mail me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home