PaPeRdOLL

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hi guys,

Finally found some time to blog about things. I've been really tied up with work, school and the pageant thingy for the past few weeks. And I've just attended an NUS entry requirements talk today at SP.

Not to mention the long list of creditations that the school has manged to achieve (no offence to anyone who's from NUS or a loyal supporter or NUS) but to my perspective, I felt that it was being overemphasised. Not just that, but it made me feel extremely inferior and intellectually impaired to even qualify for NUS.

Statistics have shown that out of 700 students in the cohord of SP business school, 400 will apply for NUS. Only 1 out of 5 (20%) of the students will qualify. So that makes 80 students in each application round. And out of the school of business, honor roll students have already taken up more than 100 places.

And if you are thinking if using SAT scores to apply, NUS will only consider applicants who are the top 80%. Using the new SAT score, out of 2400, you need to get at least 1920. (oh fook... I missed that mark by a few %)

So in order words, to be frank and honest. Unless you are a straight A student, with a colour CCA record and excellent SAT scores, please (for heaven's sake) don't waste your time and apply for NUS. Please turn around and walk over to the other side of the queue and head down to NTU (At least it won't be a wasted trip.)

I really detest the "dumping system" in Singapore's flawed education streaming system. However, I do admire their effort to be politically correct when their motives are so darn obvious.

I'm not a straight A student. I do get Cs and even Ds. (Gosh, imagine mentioning that grade to people in NUS and you'll get murderous stares like you don't ever deserve to be in NUS) But hey, for someone who has to juggle both work, studies and family, I'm doing well. How many people of my age actually need to work to feed their families and manage their studies at the same time? Even if there are such cases (I know of a few), how many of them are straight As?

I've made it this far. I'm certain I will go further to realise my dreams.

Having a good working record and qualifying for MMSP does means something, doesn't it?

Getting into a good school is important, I don't deny that. In Singapore, everyone is being measured according to a "common yardstick"

"So you have a degree?"

"Yes"

"Which university did you attend?"

"Nus." (the WOW factor)

"Ntu." (oh... that's normal)

"XXX university." (Unless it's Harvard, or some prestigious uni, most people would just go, "Huh?")

It's not the end of the world if you can't get into NUS. Just minus the prestige, and reputation.

Maybe I should start making plans for LaSalle Designing course soon. :)

Signing off,
PpD
mail me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home