PaPeRdOLL

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Some updates for today:

1) I picked up the application forms.

Ok I'm feeling a little nervous here, with butterflies churning around in my stomach. After hearing all the horror stories from Mei Xing, I'm now having second thoughts about giving it a try. But I guess it's a worthwhile experience, afterall you do get to know a lot more people and it's always good to build up networks. I guess I just want to end my final year in school with a bang so Angela and I are going to take part in this for fun. (Who'll remember us anyway after we graduate?) Exposure, experience is what I'm looking for. At least I'm know at the end of it, I'm not a frog stuck in a well, oblivious to the world outside.

And now I'm stuck with the first part of the application: Describe yourself in less than 40 words.

*Experiencing writer's block*

2) Global Business Environment Presentation

We didn't manage to finish the presentation in time, had an over-run. (Hey, 70 slides in 25 mins is no joke. I only had 2 slides for my section!) So ended up, only Serene and I presented our parts and we summed up the entire project with our recommendations. Dr Seah liked our idea and he was satisfied with our presentation. (oh please, we had like 100 pages of appendix from sources like BBC news, CNN news, Statistics of Malaysia etc and our report was only 16 pages.) During the Q&A section, he picked on the political section, whether Anwar's release would affect political stability of Malaysia and how this would in turn affect investor's confidence. Though Xue Chun and I had conflicting views, we managed to give him a balance perspective on the situation and he liked the style of which we conducted the session. It's more of like a discussion, an open dialogue with ideas bouncing off from person to person.

Hey I do enjoy doing GBE projects with Serene, Kwang Yong, Xue Chun and Mei Xing. They are really awesome team mates to have. Serene is our powerpoint slides pro and summary pro. Xue Chun and Mei Xing always come up with good quality reports in due time (They are very dependable and responsible team mates) with lots and lots of research. (Yum, I love thick appendix!) And Kwang Yong is the motivator of our group, always taking the initiative to meet up for projects, getting us to do our work, organizing and leading us all. Lastly, I'm a perfectionist - fine tune the report!

So for upcoming presentations, improvements to be made are :
  1. Giving a quick overview of different sections covered
  2. Picking out the main points and explaining the implications
  3. Conclusion and recommendations to be backed with solid research (pick out essential statistics, news report, etc)
I'm looking forward to working in a group with you guys again. And this will be one of the things that I will miss when we graduate and go our separate ways.

3) Lecturing in educational institutes

Dr Seah was chatting with me for a while before the presentation started. I was actually asking him how much was he earning as a lecturer. A rough estimate which I made was between $5k to $6k for starting salary for him. (I think I hit bullseye) And he mentioned that the requirements is to have at least a master's degree as well as 10 years of relevant experience in the field in order to quote for a high starting salary. He went on to mention that I could join Angie Tang if I ever wanted to come back as a graduate lecturer. I humbly turned that idea down as I'm still very much inexperienced, neither do I have the qualifications now.

I do enjoy teaching. (Ok, I know at this point everyone's going to laugh at me and say this : What?! Rex? You teach?!) That's why I stuck to tutoring for so long, even through my exams and industrial attachment, I never stop giving tuition. I will definitely consider teaching to be a potential career of mine. Not now but perhaps in future when I "get sick and bored" of the world and decided I've earned enough from my job.

Besides it's not just about teaching. Teachers are also involved in event organizing, administrative work, community work, attending relevant seminars and rubbing shoulders with MOE and handling parents. Love it and dread it, results ain't everything but somehow payrolls of teachers are dependent on their student's results.

4) Singing lessons

The improvements are by leaps and bounds. One week ago, I couldn't even slide my voice around. Now I'm doing it so naturally. Isn't it awesome, who could have designed our human body to work in such mysterious ways? When the hols are here, I'll definitely be reconstructing my blog and maybe I'll include a new section and upload some recordings to share with you guys, who might be interested in hearing the improvements. But till then, exams and work are still my main priorities now.

I haven't recovered from illness yet. Still fending off my throat infection as well as fever. So I'm off the schedule for the time being least I spread the sickness around.

Yet I'm feeling so joyful, this speech level singing is indeed effective despite my horrible vocal condition.

5) Other random nonsense

  • I'm going to embark on a web publishing project given by my lecturer during the holidays.

Time management is important as I will be holding either 2 jobs or maybe 3 jobs during the short 1 month break. (People: Are you sure you're not an IT student? Me: Yup I'm pretty sure I registered for Business Administration [Retail])

  • Collection of scholarship
Waiting for further details to be out and need to write them a thank you letter again.

  • Investments, Securities and Bonds
LOL, I know this sounds very financial and banking. So I'll leave the technical jargons out and let's just bullshit around in layman terms. I was sharing with Serene during Financial Management class on some of my "Rich get richer concepts and poor gets poorer concepts."

Me: Did it ever occur to you that if you had a very large initial capital to invest in, you could actually live off that money without having to work?

Serene: How?

Me: Ok, eg this senario. Cash on hand $1 m. You're being offered an investment with an annual interest rate of 2% (Assuming it's a fixed rate) and interest earned/yr = $20 000. (approx $1.7k/mth) [not taking into account inflation, maturity risk, liquidity risk, investment risk and all those other risks]

Serene: wow

Me: And you just need to ensure you don't spend > interest earned, and assuming you are still working, the money you earned from your job is actually a surplus. So you are just living purely based on interest earned from investments.

Serene: Yeah I get what you mean.

Me: And when the investment is due, you just need to dump your funds elsewhere at some other profitable investments and the cycle goes on.

Serene: You really think a lot.

Me: Yeah all the crap ideas.

But then again, that's why people study finance - to understand the mechanics of how to get richer.
And I told Kwang Yong I was interested in investing with NTUC income for a long term savings and insurance plan.

Kwang Yong: That's why I work at NTUC income, it will never collapse.

Me: It doesn't mean it won't collapse indefinitely. It probably will one day. Just a matter of time.

Kwang Yong: Just like the Lee empire, PAP will never fall.

Me: It's hard to say. You never know when Singapore will end up in the hands of a bad leader.

Kwang Yong: Aiya, PAP will pick and groom a successor, like those rich business man. That's why the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.

*continues to bicker*

Ok I gtg now, have to mug for my Financial Management test this friday and wrap up Retail Merchandising Project *The merchandise plan is making me pull all my hair out! T.T*

That's all for tonight folks.

Happy reading.
PpD

(ps. YAAY i won 3 games in a role last nite in bnet!)
mail me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home