Adulthood and teens
To be really honest, I'm one of the few rare older students in my school. Even though it's only a 2 years gap, the difference in thinking and purpose is noticeable.
i have yet to step into adulthood.
But in a month's time I'll have to wave goodbye to teenage.
In a short survey conducted among my younger friends, most do not even have any idea what they want to do in life. Many are still living carefree, without the burdens of having to worry about supporting their parents, or about their life. Most are just here to get a diploma and see where it goes from there.
Is this the result of a tailored education system? Whereby flocks of sheeps are just rounded up based on how fat (top scholars in the nation) they are and ultimately sent for slaughter (society)
I suddenly feel so naked after years of education.
All this streaming based on academic results has caused this paper-chasing to be a rat race.
Shouldn't education be more focused on character? What's the point of equipping someone with powerful knowledge but lacks the moral judgment on matters?
Next point is this, purpose is an inward motivation to achieve.
I have a purpose in life.
I do know what I need to do in order to get there though it may mean making a big detour.
Question is, do you have a purpose in life?
I'm not referring to people such as these:
Student A has studied engineering for past 20 years and proclaims to be an engineer when he graduate. Steps out into society only to have a shock that competition is stiff and couldn't get his dream salary and becomes disillusioned with himself.
To me, purpose is knowing what you want, and yet be open and flexible towards life. Accept new unexplored areas, learn more besides current interests, and this way, you are able to firstly, add on to your list of skills, secondly, discover more about yourself, thirdly, have a more rounded and balanced education as compared to others who only focus on their areas of specialization.
Learning is a lifelong activity. So why restrict yourself to learning only 1 or few particular area(s) for your entire life?
Education cannot replace experience. Yet education is a subset of experience.
Stepping into adulthood really shapes thinking. Not that I was never conscious of my responsibilities, just that I'm getting more conscious of them. As a result, i do think more about long term plans for my family.
The thought of my parents getting old and what should be done to provide for them when they are aging is one of my main concerns.
Striking a balance between ambitions and family.
Compromising personal interests and family.
deferring the fulfillment of dreams to achieve other objectives.
prioritise objectives and work towards them.
plan but keep plans flexible for changes.
Noticed that I used the term defer.
Simply means, dreams can be achieved, but just at a later date.
Deep in thoughts
PpD
i have yet to step into adulthood.
But in a month's time I'll have to wave goodbye to teenage.
In a short survey conducted among my younger friends, most do not even have any idea what they want to do in life. Many are still living carefree, without the burdens of having to worry about supporting their parents, or about their life. Most are just here to get a diploma and see where it goes from there.
Is this the result of a tailored education system? Whereby flocks of sheeps are just rounded up based on how fat (top scholars in the nation) they are and ultimately sent for slaughter (society)
I suddenly feel so naked after years of education.
All this streaming based on academic results has caused this paper-chasing to be a rat race.
Shouldn't education be more focused on character? What's the point of equipping someone with powerful knowledge but lacks the moral judgment on matters?
Next point is this, purpose is an inward motivation to achieve.
I have a purpose in life.
I do know what I need to do in order to get there though it may mean making a big detour.
Question is, do you have a purpose in life?
I'm not referring to people such as these:
Student A has studied engineering for past 20 years and proclaims to be an engineer when he graduate. Steps out into society only to have a shock that competition is stiff and couldn't get his dream salary and becomes disillusioned with himself.
To me, purpose is knowing what you want, and yet be open and flexible towards life. Accept new unexplored areas, learn more besides current interests, and this way, you are able to firstly, add on to your list of skills, secondly, discover more about yourself, thirdly, have a more rounded and balanced education as compared to others who only focus on their areas of specialization.
Learning is a lifelong activity. So why restrict yourself to learning only 1 or few particular area(s) for your entire life?
Education cannot replace experience. Yet education is a subset of experience.
Stepping into adulthood really shapes thinking. Not that I was never conscious of my responsibilities, just that I'm getting more conscious of them. As a result, i do think more about long term plans for my family.
The thought of my parents getting old and what should be done to provide for them when they are aging is one of my main concerns.
Striking a balance between ambitions and family.
Compromising personal interests and family.
deferring the fulfillment of dreams to achieve other objectives.
prioritise objectives and work towards them.
plan but keep plans flexible for changes.
Noticed that I used the term defer.
Simply means, dreams can be achieved, but just at a later date.
Deep in thoughts
PpD

1 Comments: