Management problems at work
I'm feeling really vexed now and frustrated with work.
I was woken up by a call this morning with regards to a petty cash shortage of $50. Last night, there was another case of a missing ID.
I found it rather puzzling as the counter had 3 people and all 3 people had collected payments and tended to the store operations.
With regards to the petty cash shortage, the problem can be easily solved if all cashiers follow the standard takeover shift procedures and ensuring the amount is correct at the point of handover.
So I told my supervisor the truth that for the past 3 times I've worked, they didn't bother to close the shift before handing it over to the next cashier. If it is such, cash shortages are hard to determine which cashier's shift it took place in. As to who should pay for the shortages this is arguable. Proper management procedures are needed in this area. Standard operating procedures should be followed at all times.
Another point which I've highlighted is that they should have 2 cashier points, one for each type of service rendered. This way, it is easier to pinpoint where exactly the shortage came from.
The last point which I've recommended is to allow only 1 cashier to handle cash collection from the start of the shift till the end. This is to prevent any sabotages and also any shortages could be easily traced back to the cashier in-charge.
When my supervisor called me up and told me there was a total of 3 cases which were unpaid for, I had a heart attack. So I told him what happened during my shift which was at 10 plus last night, Z double-checked and only found 1 unpaid system which amounted to 20 cents.
And this adding on to the person with the missing ID (as he didn't pay up and Z was there when I stated the amount owing) $2.50 + 20 cents = $2.70.
And after that Z told me not to handle anymore cash transactions for that system. So I handled the other system instead. The other 2 unpaid cases did not happen during my shift.
Back to the missing ID case. I found it rather weird because those I had stacked the ID together and informed the customers that I'll be placing all their IDs together to facilitate fast and easy payment since they are all leaving together. It's very weird to have 1 missing ID. Especially when I remembered that I gave out 5 slots first as I had insufficient slots and later I had 1 more available slot so I gave it out to the last person. And it happened such that during payment, it was discovered that the ID belonging to the last person was lost.
It wouldn't be fair to say that I had to pay out the full sum for the ID because there were 2 people who had handled transactions for that system and there was 1 more other person who had entered the counter.
And my supervisor told me that he was already aware of the problems before I had even started working there so he told me to pay the fifty bucks and later he will reimburse me the cash. With regards to the missing ID he told me to stall for time so that he can investigate the matter. And if it had turned out to be a genuine case of missing ID (and not due to any human error or sabotage), he would try his best to claim from the company. The worst case scenario, would be to split the cost, since it was hard to determine exactly whose fault it is.
I was woken up by a call this morning with regards to a petty cash shortage of $50. Last night, there was another case of a missing ID.
I found it rather puzzling as the counter had 3 people and all 3 people had collected payments and tended to the store operations.
With regards to the petty cash shortage, the problem can be easily solved if all cashiers follow the standard takeover shift procedures and ensuring the amount is correct at the point of handover.
So I told my supervisor the truth that for the past 3 times I've worked, they didn't bother to close the shift before handing it over to the next cashier. If it is such, cash shortages are hard to determine which cashier's shift it took place in. As to who should pay for the shortages this is arguable. Proper management procedures are needed in this area. Standard operating procedures should be followed at all times.
Another point which I've highlighted is that they should have 2 cashier points, one for each type of service rendered. This way, it is easier to pinpoint where exactly the shortage came from.
The last point which I've recommended is to allow only 1 cashier to handle cash collection from the start of the shift till the end. This is to prevent any sabotages and also any shortages could be easily traced back to the cashier in-charge.
When my supervisor called me up and told me there was a total of 3 cases which were unpaid for, I had a heart attack. So I told him what happened during my shift which was at 10 plus last night, Z double-checked and only found 1 unpaid system which amounted to 20 cents.
And this adding on to the person with the missing ID (as he didn't pay up and Z was there when I stated the amount owing) $2.50 + 20 cents = $2.70.
And after that Z told me not to handle anymore cash transactions for that system. So I handled the other system instead. The other 2 unpaid cases did not happen during my shift.
Back to the missing ID case. I found it rather weird because those I had stacked the ID together and informed the customers that I'll be placing all their IDs together to facilitate fast and easy payment since they are all leaving together. It's very weird to have 1 missing ID. Especially when I remembered that I gave out 5 slots first as I had insufficient slots and later I had 1 more available slot so I gave it out to the last person. And it happened such that during payment, it was discovered that the ID belonging to the last person was lost.
It wouldn't be fair to say that I had to pay out the full sum for the ID because there were 2 people who had handled transactions for that system and there was 1 more other person who had entered the counter.
And my supervisor told me that he was already aware of the problems before I had even started working there so he told me to pay the fifty bucks and later he will reimburse me the cash. With regards to the missing ID he told me to stall for time so that he can investigate the matter. And if it had turned out to be a genuine case of missing ID (and not due to any human error or sabotage), he would try his best to claim from the company. The worst case scenario, would be to split the cost, since it was hard to determine exactly whose fault it is.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home